VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds)
- VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) are gases and chemicals emitted by a variety of products and objects, many of which can be found in your home. In fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) numbers these products to be in the thousands. The EPA cautions that "many VOCs are consistently higher indoors (up to 10 times higher) than outdoors."
- The EPA warns that some VOCs "may have short and long-term adverse health effects." Examples include paints, cleaning supplies, disinfectants, cosmetics, pesticides, building materials, furnishings, hobby products – and the list goes on. Many of these products emit VOCs even when they are not in use (such as furnishings built with products containing formaldehyde).
Upgrading the Inner Carbon Filter with the Optional VOC Filter
Please see below instructions for installing the VOC filter. Some instructions are described in detail on the Owner's Manual tab. While there are several steps required, it is quite easy to install the VOC filter.
- The Inner Carbon Filter is referred to as the Inner Blanket in the Owner's Manual.
- Caution: When completing the following steps to substitute the Inner Carbon filter with the Optional Carbon VOC filter, please use extreme care not to inflict pressure on the HEPA Cartridge Filter Assembly.
- Replace VOC filter once a year.
Installing the Optional Carbon VOC Filter:
- Disassemble the Filter Assembly from the HEPA+2000 Air Purifier:
- Please refer to the FILTER REPLACEMENT INSTRUCTIONS in the Owner's Manual
- Follow the steps under the section Removing the Filter Assembly.
- Replace the Inner Carbon Filter with the Optional Carbon VOC Filter:
- Place the Filter Assembly in an upright position on a flat surface (wheels will be on the floor).
- Look inside the HEPA Cartridge (Filter Assembly) to locate an end of the Inner Carbon blanket filter.
- Without applying pressure directly on the HEPA filter located behind the Inner Carbon blanket filter, fold the ends of the Inner Carbon blanket filter inward, and then gently pull up to remove it from the unit.
- Carefully insert the Optional VOC Carbon Filter inside the HEPA Cartridge cavity.
- Re-Assemble the Air Purifier unit:
- Refer again to the FILTER REPLACEMENT INSTRUCTIONS in the Owner's Manual
- Follow the steps under the section Re-Assembling the Unit.
- Once re-assembled, return the unit to its upright position.
- Your unit is now ready for use.
Click here for the Owner's Manual on the HEPA+ 2000 Air Purifier.